Thursday, June 11, 2015

Finding Home: Other Voices


Today I'm pleased to share the thoughts of author, Brandy Jellum, as she explores: What’s in a Home? 
To some, a home is simply a building structure with four walls and a roof. A place where you lay your head at night, a place to eat, shower, etc. For me, it’s so much more than that. It’s like the saying goes: “Home is where the heart is.” That couldn’t be truer for me. 
I used to be one of those people, the kind that was superficial, and very materialistic. I was ashamed of where I came from, more importantly, I was ashamed of who I had become by the time I was in high school. I thought the only thing that matter was the kind of clothes I wore and the more popular I was, the happier I’d be. And I did such a fabulous job in tricking myself into believing that I had everything I wanted and more.
But I was wrong. As time passed, as I got older, I realized how unhappy I was. By my senior year, I was on my seventh high school. I bounced from home to home, from family member to family member, between friends, and everyone in-between. I didn’t know then what it was I was looking for and it wasn’t until I was nineteen years old and staring down into the most crystal blue eyes I had ever seen that I knew – I was looking for a place to call home. 
It didn’t matter that I was all alone, about to trek into unfamiliar territory known as parenthood, and could hardly manage to care for myself. How was I supposed to care for a baby if I couldn’t take care of myself? But it didn’t matter, I was going to do anything for that little girl. From that day, I stopped searching, I had everything I needed. Or so I thought. Then I married my husband, gained two more beautiful children to help raise, and went on to have another one.
The one thing I have learned along the way is this: it doesn’t matter where life takes me as long as I have the five of them, I’ll always be home. Home to me isn’t about what kind of house you live in, be it a 5,000 sq. ft. house, a studio apartment, or the back of a van. A home is about what and who is in your heart. It’s to love and to be loved in return. Despite the wild curveballs life pitches at you, as long as you have the most important people with you, you’ll always see the brighter side of things no matter how dim life seems to be. Some days will be rougher than others, some may even seem hopeless, but if one was to stop for just a moment, remember the ones they have in their life, that person will experience an overwhelming feeling of comfort…that comfort to me is what represents home. The feeling that against all odds, one only has to look into their heart to find solid ground, to find peace, joy, happiness, all of the positive things one is supposed to feel, and if they can do that…then they are at home with themselves and the ones around them.
 Brandy's passion for writing began long before she actually sat down to write. As a child, she has had an obsession with reading, everything from the classic stories by Jane Austen to YA Fiction by Richelle Mead. Finally, in 2012, she decided to create her own stories for people to fall in love with. Brandy bounces back and forth writing both Romance and Young Adult Fiction (which is mainly just for fun).

At the beginning of 2014, Brandy signed a contract with publishing company Booktrope. She is very excited about the next chapter of her life and cannot wait to share her books and passion with readers.

When she isn't writing, she can be found chasing after her husband, her four children and her black lab, Diesel. Or curled up on her favorite corner of the couch with her newest book.

Twitter: @Brandy_Jellum

No comments: